Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son’s Journey to God. A Broken Mother’s Search for Hope is an excellent book that you can give to someone who is living in a homosexual lifestyle, suffering from drug addiction, undergoing tough family problems or in prison.
In this book, Christopher Yuan and his mother, Angela shares the story of their journey from broken relationships, lives and dreams to a place of redemption, hope and healing. The book consists of Christopher and Angela’s narratives which are told alternately in between chapters. Christopher is the son of Chinese immigrants. At a young age, he discovered that he was attracted to boys. He tried dating girls but still felt strongly attracted to guys. Then, Christopher returned home from dental school and he ‘came out of the closet’ about his sexuality. Angela was devastated and attempted to ‘fix‘ Christopher, threatening him that he should leave their house if he will not change. Christopher left their home and Angela’s life went out of control resulted in depression up to the point that she was determined to take away her life. God intervened and Angela became a follower of Christ. Hope became her spiritual strength and she regularly prays Christopher. Rebelling from his parents, Christopher’s new lifestyle revolved around parties and gay clubs where he meets new friends and taking and selling illegal drugs. But one day, he was arrested and was sent to prison. To make matters worse, Christopher found out that he is HIV positive. In prison, he starts to read the Bible and even played piano for a men’s prison choir. God has turned his nightmare into a story of redemption, grace and transformation.
- “Having struggled with homosexuality myself, I have read many books to help me on my journey. This book is far unlike any other however. This story has refreshed me! This book has inspired me! It has given me the faith to believe that, in spite of all of the mistakes I have made, God will never give up on me.” – Jordan, Amazon Review
- “This book will give hope to people with gay relatives not to give up.” J. Leung, Amazon Review
- “This book has provided a good reminder that even those who seem hopeless, aren’t far from God’s redeeming love. No matter the road one chooses to travel, God is waiting for his sons and daughters to come home to him with open and loving arms full of forgiveness.” – Anonymous, Amazon Review
- “Good read on the subject and very helpful for witnessing.” -Marja, Christian Book
- “This book is powerful. I don’t struggle with homosexuality, but that doesn’t mean I don’t struggle with my faith in God. What touched me about this story was Angela’s transformation and devotion to prayer. Also, I’m thankful to have a book or a resource to pass on to friends who do struggle with homosexuality. I’ve had one ask me about this book already, and I made sure to get a copy into his hands.” R. Brown, Amazon Review
ISBN 0307729354, 240 pages, Publisher – WaterBrook Press